RAMP is looking for a dynamic leader to help strategize and build programming for attracting, retaining, and developing entrepreneurs and startups for the technology and biotechnology sectors in the Roanoke-Blacksburg Region. This position calls for a collaborator who is equally savvy in thinking outside the box, building strong relationships and partnerships regionally, statewide, and beyond, designing high impact programs, deep understanding of technology and biotech startups, and working effectively with a diverse team. This position will require flexibility and adaptability to the region’s start-up challenges and funding opportunities. While there is a strong foundation for the RAMP program, the candidate will build upon the current program and will need to be a creative and strategic thinker, and a self-motivated leader who won’t shy away from designing new programs and achieving big goals. RAMP is part of a collaborative alliance that brings together our regional technology accelerator and the Roanoke-Blacksburg Technology Council. The key to our success is largely dependent on the stellar ability of our board, team, collaborations, and partnerships.
- Strategize and orchestrate On-RAMP, RAMP, and Exit-RAMP programming to include business development content, mentorship, coaching, and capital.
- Determine benchmarks and metrics for assessing success of the RAMP programs (On-RAMP, RAMP, Exit-RAMP).
- Work with tech and biotech partners on developing acceleration, mentoring, and funding programming to meet the needs of the region.
- Engage with and serve as a part of the regional and statewide tech and biotech resource team involving local, regional, and state partners and stakeholders.
- Strategize and align RAMP objectives, priorities, and efforts as entrepreneur and startup assets, needs, and funding change.
- Work with RBTC Director to collaborate on events and marketing that serve all ages and stages of tech and biotech businesses in the region.
- Build and maintain connections with academic departments in the larger region’s colleges and universities that have entrepreneur and accelerator programs.
- Identify and utilize marketing channels that reach start-up ecosystem audiences and supporters.
- Collaborate on and maintain the budget for RAMP.
- Actively participate in whole alliance strategic conversations to enrich the entire portfolio’s reach and impact.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field.
- 5+ years of work experience working as an entrepreneur or with startups and managing strategic cross-functional projects.
- Ability to create positive, long-term business relationships and partnerships.
- Must have excellent communication, leadership, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a focus on start-up acceleration and problem solving.
- Ability to collaborate, think and plan strategically for organizational success.
- Experience in technology and biotechnology industries.
- Grant management experience preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple projects while working under time constraints and rapidly changing priorities.
- Ability to connect relevant and timely partners, mentors and funders to RAMP companies to grow the start-up community.
- Experience working in a fast-paced team-oriented environment.
- Must be self-directed and self-motivated with the ability to multi-task and easily adapt to change.
- Must have excellent organization, planning and time management abilities.
- Demonstrated experience leading people and getting results in a matrixed environment.
Verge is a collaborative strategic alliance established to grow the region’s innovation economy, technology, and life sciences sectors, and the supporting professional communities. It aligns the strengths and programming efforts of the Roanoke-Blacksburg Technology Council (RBTC), the Regional Accelerator and Mentoring Program (RAMP), and Valleys Innovation Council (VIC). Verge serves GO Virginia Region 2 and works to form collaborations with government, business, academia, and other organizations to advance the region and grow a thriving innovation economy.